The Embassy of Spain, Abuja Holds an Art Competition/Exhibition
Competition on Nigerian Visual Arts
“Sharing a common heritage”
Rules and Regulations
1. The competition is organized in Abuja by the Embassy of Spain to Nigeria, with the sponsorship of several Spanish companies present in Nigeria and with the collaboration of the Transcorp-Hilton hotel.
2. In the framework of the 7th Spanish Cultural Week, the 2012 edition of the Visual Art Competition is aimed at promoting Nigerian young artists and spreading the knowledge of Spanish Heritage under the title “Sharing a common heritage”
Considering the Embassy of Spain has based its cultural programme for 2012 on its World Heritage Sites, the participants will chose any element of the Spanish Heritage among the list in annex 1 of these rules, and will reinterpret it freely through a Nigerian-African prism.
The selection of the winner will be based in the aesthetic quality and the originality of the interpretation, not in the similarity of the work to the element chosen as reference.
Both a copy of the Spanish cultural reference and the free interpretation done by young Nigerian artists will be exposed during the 7th Spanish Cultural Week at Transcorp-Hilton Hotel in Abuja.
3. The participating artists must be under 35 years old.
4. Any technique or media are allowed.
5. All the artists wishing to participate must send a scanned picture of the work they wish to present for the competition to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org before September 9th. No e-mails will be accepted after this deadline. All entries must be accompanied by a scanned copy of one of the following documents: ID card, passport, driving license.
A selection of the artists participating at the final competition will be made, at the selection’s panel sole discretion.
Artists selected to participate will be informed by the organizers before September 16th.
The artists selected to participate to the final will present their works to be exhibited at the Transcorp-Hilton, Abuja. The works must be forwarded to one of the offices of the NGA from the annex 2 between the 19th and the 23rd of September. Every artist selected to participate will receive by e-mail an excel document to be completed and returned before September 23rd.
6. The selection panel will be constituted by members of the Embassy of Spain in Abuja and by Nigerian representatives of the Arts.
7. The winner and the consolation prizes will be informed previously and awarded at the Transcorp Hilton Abuja.
8. First prize will be a four days full paid trip to Madrid to visit ARCO (13-17 February 2013), one of the most important exhibitions on contemporary art all over the world.
9. The consolation prizes will be two painting material batches.
10. The first prize work will remain the property of the Embassy of Spain and can be exhibited anywhere, anytime, in order to make know the talent and creativity of Nigerian painters.
11. The non-awarded works will be returned to the artists through the NGA.
12. By the fact of submitting the artworks for display artists warrant that they are sole owners of copyright in their work, and that no other person has any rights in them. Artists will be held responsible vis-à-vis the organizers for any harm, damage or loss arising out of a claim by a third party for breach of copyright.
13. The Embassy of Spain will not be responsible for any damage or loss of the paintings sent to Abuja.